Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Musings About Lifestyle Changes

We throw around the term "lifestyle change" quite easily and casually in the weight loss community. "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change!" Basically what we are trying to say is that we intend to keep the weight off that we have lost.

But have we really changed our life if we are constantly fighting the urge to overeat? If we have to log every bite religiously for the rest of our life? If we always have to avoid certain foods because we know one bite will throw us into a binge?

Do you think that it's possible to get to the point where you intuitively know what foods will fill you up and help you feel your best without constantly stressing about your macro levels? Where you intuitively know how many calories you can eat without weighing and measuring and logging every bite of food? Where you go out for a run because that's what you do? Because it's so much a part of your routine that it would be like going without brushing your teeth for a day if you skipped it. Or even better… because you want to? Because activities like that are your hobby, your "down time." Instead of veg-ing in front of the TV, you go for a long walk? Because you prefer that as your way to relax and unwind at the end of the day/week? Where maintaining your new weight will be just as easy for you as gaining it used to be? Because it's just what you do. It's who you are. Its how you eat.

I happen to believe that's possible. I think we can be "normal." I don't think it's easy. And I especially don't think it's easy for people like me who have been significantly overweight for a very long time. And I don't think it'll come without a long period of logging religiously… even once we reach the maintenance phase. But I believe that can come. After all… isn't that what a "lifestyle change" is all about?

I'm not saying we will never overeat… I think that the vast majority of American's do overeat occasionally. But I'm saying that it's an occasional thing… not something that we struggle with constantly. I'm not saying we'll never gain an ounce. I think the vast majority of Americans do have those gains. I'm not saying we'll never eat sweets again. I'm saying we can eat them in moderation without it sending us into a binge. I'm talking about being normal. Where, when we gain those 5-10 pounds, we instinctively make up for it, by eating a little less for awhile or upping our intensity or our time on our runs. I'm not talking yo-yo dieting… I'm talking about being like those people who can pretty much just eat what they want without worrying about the calories/macros/nutrients and yet they somehow manage to keep themselves healthy. My theory is there is nothing special about them. The difference between them and me is that they have made it their life and I'm still "dieting."

Am I crazy? Is a true lifestyle change too much to aim for? Too much to hope for? Too much to expect?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I'll still be hopping on my exercise bike every night once I've met my goal weight, but I can see myself doing 10 mile walks on Saturdays for fun... Losing the weight will make exercising in social situations more enjoyable, there's no doubt. My biggest worry is food. I'm happy with my diet, I don't go hungry ever.... but once my calories increase I'm frightened I will revert to old habits i.e. comfort food, which is why I plan to keep on logging my food. It just makes sense. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's totally possible, as long as you change your mindset around food and build habits. You have to create a new normal, and that takes time and work. If you spend time learning and trying things to figure out what foods and recipes are healthy but fit into your budget/schedule/taste, and you learn how to make time for fitness and what activities you find fun and rewarding, then it's more realistic. I know on my end, I have to rethink eating out, and understand that I can revisit a place and I don't have to try everything at that one visit. I have to understand that I can throw away food - if I crave chinese, and order chinese, I can throw away the leftovers and it won't break my budget. I need to not feel guilty about wasting food if I'm choosing to 'waste' food to make healthier choices.

    I can already tell when my body has been fed unhealthy food in how my energy levels and stomach react. I feel hugely proud of myself and confident when I'm working out regularly. I think I can use those feelings and time to create habits that will last. I may struggle forevermore on some level, but I think it's feasible to think I can not log and still maintain my losses based on the lifestyle -including mental- changes I'm making now.

    ReplyDelete