Saturday, February 14, 2015

Laugh For the Day and a Question

So, here's your laugh for the day.

I was on my way out the door to go to the gym when I almost literally ran into my sister and her roommate coming in the door. (I live with my sister… but I rent the top half of the house and she lives in the basement. We share the kitchen and the laundry room, but that's it. So, while the roommate is a friend of mine… she actually is my sister's roommate, not mine.) The roommate (Li) asked me "will you please take piss and vinegar with you?! (referring to my sister)" Apparently she'd been "on one" today. And my sister did recognize that she's been kinda sassy and a jerk. I asked her if I needed to take her to the gym with me and work some of that sassiness out of her. She hates the gym. HATES it. But after telling her it was weights day and promising she wouldn't have to get on a treadmill, she agreed to go with me for a half hour. She drove separately because I go for longer than that.

She was quite athletic in high school and took some weight lifting classes herself. One year she was voted "most muscular" in the yearbook polls. She has forgotten more about weight lifting than I've ever known. So I gave her the option to do her own thing or she could follow me around and do my routine with me. She said would follow me. "If I did want I wanted to do, I'd be sitting in front of a movie with a bowl of popcorn." She's lightly active when it comes to her everyday activities… but she hasn't done any exercise (either cardio or strength training) in years.

So I walked her through my routine. She kept up with the weights I put on for myself… but she didn't add anything heavier. And I think in a couple of situations, she struggled more than I did. She said periodically that she was going to be sore. That she was using muscles that she has never used. After we got done with weights, she had about 2 minutes left before she told Li she would be home. So, she did 2 minutes of the steps with me. I asked her before she left if she was going to be nice to Li now. She said yes. I told her if she wasn't… I would bring her back here tomorrow.

When I got home I asked her how she was feeling. She said she was okay but that she came home and told Li that she was never going to be mean to her again! I told her I changed my mind though… I wasn't going to take her back to the gym, I was going to make her run with me. Tie a rope around her waist and make her keep up with me on my run tomorrow… which is the last week of C25k. I think that scared her worse! But Li loved me. She started singing "What a friend we have in Jesus" and substituting my name in there.

Speaking of C25k though… now that I'm entering the final week of it… I'm trying to decide what my next move is. C25k takes me to where I can run for 30 minutes. But that isn't long enough for me to actually finish a 5k with my speed. So, I'm wondering if I should go on my own for a few weeks/couple of months and gradually increase my miles and time until I can actually go for a full 5k (3.1 miles) and then move on to the 10k running program. Or should I just go straight into it?

I'm not worried about my speed. I know that will come with more miles and better fitness. But would there be an advantage to actually be able to run a 5k before moving on to the 10k program? Is the distance important or is my 30 minutes sufficient? Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment