Thursday, November 26, 2015

Off Track

I've had a hard time getting back on top of things after my half marathon. I came down with a virus just a few days after my marathon (seriously… days. I was still sore from my race when I came down with this) and it completely threw me into a tail spin. And I haven't been on track since.

I have gained a few pounds back. Enough so that I'm starting to notice it in how my clothes fit. And that's freaking me the hell out. It's been really hard for me to stay motivated to workout. The time change and having it dark and cold out now makes it really hard. I have learned why they call it the "dreadmill" after learning to love running outside. And without a race to train for… it's especially hard to keep motivated. And my niece is dealing with an injury that has sidelined her. She hasn't been able to run since the half marathon, so she isn't signing up for any races either. So, without a racing partner, it's really easy to slack off.

And my eating is a joke. Seriously. JOKE. I'm having a hard time disciplining myself to get that under control.

However… I feel like I'm starting to get back to my routine with working out. I have a co-worker who has been going to Golds Gym. And she has slacked off for several months and is trying to get back to it herself. She invited me to her Body Pump class I think in hopes that having someone counting on her… will help her stay with it. So I went with her to that class (I got in on her guest pass). And surprisingly really liked it. I have never had the slightest interest in classes before, but I really enjoyed the Body Pump class. It kicked my butt! Holy crap… after that first class, I hurt in every muscle in my body. Including some I wasn't even aware I had! But I loved that it was a full body strength training in one hour. So, I kept going on her pass for a couple of weeks. But hard an increasingly hard time wanting to go back to Planet Fitness on my cardio days. So, I finally just joined Golds Gym. That's been helpful to me in wanting to get back to working out. I'm hoping once I can get back into a routine again, that I will find the discipline to get my eating under control.

I tried out a Zumba class once I got my own membership at Golds. And I didn't really like it. But I was glad to try something new and figure out what I like and what I don't. And that's one of the main reasons I decided to go over to Golds Gym is because it would offer me more opportunities to try new things. And that's what I want for myself right now… I need to challenge myself. Try something new. Push myself to go further or faster. To lift heavier. I love Planet Fitness. I have nothing but good things to say about them. But I feel like I've gotten everything I can out of them. I credit them with getting me to this point though. The point where I'm not afraid to try out something new. Even if I suck at it. Even if I end up hating it. Even if I'm back at feeling like an absolute beginner. And even though I'm not in a great place right now… I know what to do to get back to where I want to be. And I know that I can do it. And it's gonna be a hell of a lot easier to get there from here than it was to get there the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment