Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Realizations and Reactions

Well, I realized why I work out at night. (I work a graveyard shift) Today my sister had a doctor's appointment that she wanted me to accompany her to. Doing so would have put me going to bed much later than usual making it impossible to get enough sleep for work if I still had to wake up and go workout. So, I hit the gym on my way home from work then went home and got a shower so I could accompany her to the appointment and then sleep all the way until I absolutely had to get up for work.

Yeah… Now I realize why I work out at night. It was such a hard workout! I had such low energy. I was trying to get my heart rate up and my body just wouldn't respond! I just couldn't move any faster. But the important thing is I made the effort. I kept the routine. And now I know that by choosing to do it at night, I have made the best choice for me.

I also broke down and told my sisters what I was doing. I'll be honest… I was so excited by the 5 pound weight loss I had to share it! It was interesting the variety of responses. I have three sisters and one brother and I'm the youngest of them all. My brother is the oldest but I did not choose to text him with my exciting news. Sister #1 was extremely enthusiastic and supportive and curious as to what I was doing and why I decided to do it. She is the most health conscious of us all, due to her having recently lost quite a bit of weight herself, and is trying very hard to keep it off. She is also the same height as I am, so I use her as a personal measuring stick for what I can realistically expect. She and I are very different in some ways, but in many ways she is the one I think most like… so it was good to talk to her and get her insight and experience with the whole thing.

Sister #2 was happy for me, but much more understated. She wants to lose weight herself, but has a hard time with the food part of it. She is generally a pretty active person. But the diet part is very hard for her. So, she has enjoyed discussing that part of it with me, trying to use me as inspiration and get advice. But she and I are complete and total opposites. We are about as different as it's possible for two people who share DNA to be. So I kinda doubt that anything that works for me will work for her. And she already has very strong opinions and beliefs about things. So… unless what I say matches her current belief system… she's unlikely to take it.

Sister #3 said "that's awesome. Good job." But when I saw her the next day she seemed faintly mocking about the idea. Not that she doesn't think it is a good idea to lose weight. But my guess is she sees this as a fad that will pass. And/or that I'm going to be obnoxious about it while I'm doing it. Perhaps that I'll be judgmental of her or others that are eating differently. Or that I'll become one of "those people." Which I'm not sure how to describe what that means. I guess the best way to describe it is the fanatics. People who get so into their diet mode that you can't even enjoy being around them because they either are completely cutting out certain things or they get so obsessed with calories or other nutrition content that they can't just enjoy a meal. But that will pass as we're able to spend more time together.

It's like I told Sister #1…. I look forward to this becoming the new normal. When going to workout is common place and just something I do… Not something that's a big deal or worthy of comment every time. When eating this way is just how I eat and not "Oh my gosh, Shanon is eating healthy! What is happening to the world?"

No comments:

Post a Comment