Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Finding Out What We Are Capable Of

As you know… I was getting myself pretty freaked out by week 3 of Couch to 5k. I had managed to talk myself down to the point that I could go and do by the time my shift had ended and it was time to go to the gym… but those nerves remained as I got on the treadmill and started my workout.

But I did it. I had to pull out all my "don't give up" mantras that I have seen on Pinterest to get me through those 3 minutes jogs… But I did it. And that was pretty incredible to me. It was a huge confidence booster. It kinda makes me think I can do this after all.

Going back to Pinterest… a lot of my best mantras come from that little gem. Just like the internet in general… there is a lot of crap you can find… but there is a lot of good stuff too.

And my experience with being able to do week 3 after all has taught me a couple of things.

It's Not Just Physical

I tend to get frustrated with the mental part of weight loss. And overall, I do believe it's overrated. You do not need to "transform" emotionally or mentally in order to lose weight. You need to eat at a deficit. It's that simple. I get that those emotional transformations may occur as we go through this process. But it's touted as a necessary part of the experience. No. There is no "emotional weight" that you have to shed in order for the scale to go down. You don't need to fundamentally change. You are just fine the way you are. All you need to do is eat at a deficit. Emotional growth is great and it can help make your  life both during and after weight loss even better. But it should not be used as an excuse as to why you aren't losing weight. They are not intrinsically linked. Weight loss does not have to be an huge emotional ordeal!

However… one thing I have learned because of Saturday's workout…


If I would have just listened to my body… my legs would have given out after one minute. If not earlier. So I had to kick my brain into gear and make myself keep going. I had to tell myself that it wasn't that my legs were giving out… it was that my mind was giving up. So I had to change my mind and push it to keep going. To "run with your mind" instead of my legs. Because my legs would have stopped a lot earlier if I didn't make up my mind that I was going to do this. In fact… I think I heard somewhere that your body is capable of doing so much more than we let it do. Because our mind will give out before our legs actually will. That's what I like about shows like Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss. There is a lot of crap spouted on there about the "emotional weight" aspect that drives me crazy. But it does show what we are capable of if we just decide to do it. On Extreme Weight Loss you see people running marathons at their six month milestone. Are you freaking kidding me? After only six months? And only 3 months of training? That's not possible! Except that it is. If we push ourselves to do it. The only thing that appeals to me about those shows is those trainers who refuse to listen to the crying and the falling off the treadmill and even the puking. And they push them to their limits. Their real limits… not the limits they have set for themselves in their mind. And that's the only reason I would want to do one of those shows… because I want a someone who will help me do that. Will push me beyond what my mind thinks my limits are and show me exactly what I'm capable of. I've decided I really do want to do a marathon someday. But in my mind that's at least a year or two away. I mean… I'm still trying to get through C25k… right? But is it? What if I convinced myself that it was possible and I simply pushed myself to train for it… Right now?! What would be truly possible if I only believed and pushed myself? Just a thought.

The second thing I learned from Saturday's workout…

You LIE like a rug!


This kind of goes along with the first one. We all have that voice in our heads that doesn't think we can do something. Whether it's jogging for 3 minutes or whether it's losing a huge amount of weight. But that voice LIES! You can do it. Honestly… I would never have guessed that 8.5 months in… I would have lost 126 pounds. I would have thought it was impossible. But here I am. That voice is a lying slut! Because when you refuse to listen to that part of your brain and just go to work… you might just surprise yourself. That voice that said I wouldn't be able to run 3 minutes? LIAR!

Believe in yourself. Push yourself. Push yourself just a touch further than you think you can. Find out what you are capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment