Saturday, January 3, 2015

Take That, Holidays!

The holiday season is officially behind us. It starts with Halloween and it doesn't stop until NOW! I enjoyed being with my family. I really enjoyed the time off from work. But I am glad to be digging out from under the mountain of food that all the neighbors brought over. Why is it that food is the go-to neighbor gift? And why is it always extremely high calorie and low nutrition?

I was so grateful that one of my friends brought me over a loaf of whole wheat bread and a bottle of honey. It was brilliant and it was perfect. I so appreciated that thoughtfulness of him thinking just a little bit and bringing me something that I could  truly enjoy and that would be in line with my goals, rather than just going with the typical plate of cookies or candy that everybody else gives. And it didn't cost any more money. It just took a little bit of thought! But it was so completely in line with him and the kind of relationship we have. I didn't have to say anything to him (even indirectly) or ask for it. He just knew… because he knows me. And he acted.

Sorry. Sidetrack. I'm also glad to be back into a routine. I am such a creature of habit. And I worked very hard to make sure that I created a routine for myself that would help me keep things going. Because I'm such a creature of habit, I get nervous when I break routine. Either through holiday or travel (in this case… both!). I always worry whether or not I'll be able to get back into my routine again. I try the best I can while I'm away to find a way to keep into routine. New Years Eve Day was a classic example. I was away from home… away from the gym. It was snowy and bitterly cold outside. What was I going to do? I pulled out my sisters step stool and started doing steps. When I started getting worn out from that… I jogged in place. Then I would do steps again. I tried my sisters stationary bike… which only served to remind me once again how much I hate stationary bikes. But I kept moving and kept my heart rate up for 45 minutes. When I got back home the next day (New Years Day), I drove past the gym even before I went home to see what their hours were for the day. They were open but only till 7 pm. So I went home, unloaded my car, got something to eat, and changed into my workout clothes and went back to the gym and did my typical Thursday workout. Throwing myself back into my routine before laziness or complacency could set in.

And tonight… I was glad to see my efforts paid off. A loss of 3.5 pounds to put me at 259, which is 122 pounds lost. I believe my exact words were… "I freaking rock!"

1 comment: